These are one of my family’s favourite treats from back in England but unfortunately you can’t buy them here. Here’s my take on how to make these orange-chocolate jaffa cakes.
Ingredients for the jelly
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp powdered orange gelatin (Jello)
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp cup hot water
zest of 1 orange
Directions for the jelly
- In a small bowl, combine the gelatin, hot water, and orange zest, and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a 20 x 30 cm non-stick rectangular pan (don’t grease the pan).
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Ingredients for the cakes
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
180 grams of dark chocolate, melted
Directions for the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with the sugar with an electric mixer until they are pale and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sift in the flour and gently fold it into the mixture
- Grease a mini muffin pan and fill each cup with about 1 tbsp mixture.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Turn out the jelly onto a piece of parchment paper by loosening the edges and then quickly flipping the pan over the non-stick paper
- Using a 1-inch cookie cutter cut out the jelly, the off cuttings can be melted and refrigerated again to cut out more jelly pieces.
- Place one jelly piece on one cake and coat the top in the melted dark chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to set in the freezer, then serve.